Winter is nice… until Christmas. After Christmas, you can’t even justify the high amount of sweets you’re eating.
Candles, snow, tea, watching Home Alone and eating Christmas treats. I could do that every night of December.
One of my favourite Christmas treats is the German gingerbread “Lebkuchen”. I’m always looking forward to that all year. And finally, I found an easy made healthy option with no refined sugar, paleo friendly with vegan option.
I actually hate baking with sweet potato. Every time I bake with sweet potato, it tastes like sweet potato. But this one is different. It just tastes heavenly like real gingerbread!
You can see, there are options to not become fat in December and still enjoy your Christmas treats. Of course, it’s calorie dense, but you won’t eat as much of it. Trust me!
Sweet potato Gingerbread in German Lebkuchen Style (serves 9 psc)
200g ground almonds
150g sweet potato
3 tbsp honey (or 2 tbsp maple syrup if vegan)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp mixed gingerbread spice
1 tsp orange or lemon zest
20g dark chocolate (or coconut oil-maple-cocoa mix)
- Boil the sweet potato until soft
- Mash it with a fork and stir it with coconut oil and honey
- Stir in the spice and zest until evenly mixed
- Add the almonds and mix with your hand
- Shape balls and flatten them on a baking tray
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180°C for 15 min
- Let it cool for a few minutes, then melt the chocolate and dunk the gingerbread into the chocolate.